torsdag 3. desember 2009

Siesta

Spain is a country where they have siestas. I recently read an article in Aftenposten about how siestas make Spanish workers ineffective. You can read the article here. Since I live in what sometimes feel like "little Britain" and not the real Spain, I haven't really experienced proper siestas yet, and the results on society. Until this afternoon....

I stayed up too late last night writing reports (deadline this afternoon). And when I got back from work after a LOVELY choir rehearsal with the senior school choir this afternoon, I felt exhausted, and didn't even want to think about having to make food. I plucked up the courage to walk all the way down to the Chinese restaurant close to Puerto Banus, and the sun was still shining, so I kind of enjoyed the walk:) Not only would I get food, but also some sunshine and vitamin D!!

However, Spanish people don't go to restaurants at 5.30 in the afternoon. The Chinese restaurant was closed, SIESTA, and I had to walk all the way back home. Hungry. Exhausted. I even popped by a Thai restaurant and an Indian one, but they had siestas as well... Of course. I love siestas!! So now I'm waiting for my delicious Mercadona pizza in the oven. Not exactly what I had expected.

And the moral of this lesson is....? Try to integrate asap. Follow the local customs and traditions. Have dinner no earlier than 9pm in the evening. Don't get confused by living in a touristy places. That's just on the surface. After all, they're all Spanish in their way of thinking here. Hæ??

3 kommentarer:

  1. ..argh! Takk, har opplevd det samme på Malta. Ingenting slår skuffelsen som bølger over deg når du skjønner at her blir det IKKE mat, Ting Tar Tid og du kommer til å bli enda mer KREKSA før du får hevet innpå noe fór. Grusomt. Erindrer også en rimelig traurig og laang togtur i Tyskland hvor NOEN nektet å kjøpe peanøtter for å dempe sulten og brølte "Jeg har ikke LYST PÅ peanøtter". *Kremt*. Savner du Deli De Luca nå?

    SvarSlett
  2. Nettopp, Silje! Man forstår det ikke før man er midt i situasjonen. On the other hand, jeg har armer og bein og mat i kjøleskapet, så jeg har virkelig ingen grunn til å klage;) Men ja, jeg savner virkelig 7/11 og Deli av og til. Og jeg trodde jo selvfølgelig ALDRI jeg skulle høre meg selv si det... Hehe.

    SvarSlett
  3. ... og nå viser det seg at jeg også klarte å miste 50 Euro på turen min fra heimen, opp til minibanken, og ned bakken til Kina-restauranten. What a day! :)

    SvarSlett